Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cushion for Leo

As I made my nephew Leo's quilt I saved all the little triangles that were cut off and not needed for a cushion. I have slowly been sewing them up and cutting them all to 2 1/2 inch squares. Yesterday I put them together in a zigzag pattern and made a cushion. I also added some piping around the edge which I love (expect to see more more cushions with piping). I followed this tutorial to do it. I saw it followed on from this tutorial on adding a zip to the back with a flap so I did that too. Both were easy to follow and I am really happy with the result.
I don't normally press my seams open, but I hate the bulk you get at seams with half square triangles so every seam in this cushion was pressed open. It did drive me insane at the time, but the top was lovely and flat and was easy to quilt and I think it was much easier to match the corners.

8 comments:

Nicky said...

I love cushions and this one is a great example - I will need to try out those tutorials in my next one. Thank you.

The piping sets it off!

bec said...

ooh, gorgeous! Can you make me one of them haha. Lucky little leo!

Mary said...

Love your cushion!

Thimbleanna said...

Super Cute Kate! A perfect match for Leo's beautiful quilt!

Naturally Carol said...

Spectacular result..Leo's very lucky! I agree that it seems easier to match up the points and seams when they are pressed open.

Jill said...

Fabulous!! I wish I could match up my fabric lines as well as you!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Ah I love zig zags and your cushion is divine! Love the back too. xo

Kelly Casanova said...

Great cushion and the piping looks terrific!